Jaipur BookMark 2018
THE FIRST BOOK CLUB
NEW WRITERS MENTORSHIP PROGRAMME
Announcing the Shortlisted First-Time Writers for First Book Club 2018
||Musings from Varanasi
||Of Mirrors and Men
||The Ungrateful Boy
||Vatsala Mendonça de Sousa
||Shadow of the Palm Tree
||Pardes mein ‘Queen’
||Nidhi Zak Aria-Eipe
||The Things that make us Human
||The Unpredictability of Snowflakes: A Collection of Nonfiction Essays
||Suspected Sons of Shiv Sharan
||Short Pitch: A Place of Privilege
||Chandra Ramesh Talware
For all the storytellers, literary enthusiasts and writers among us, Jaipur BookMark is back with its second edition of ‘The First-Book Club New Writers Mentorship Programme’ in January 2018. This time the programme comes with a broader canvas to include entries for short-stories, poetry as well as works of fiction or non-fiction. A nominal handling fee of INR 750 shall be charged for all submissions.
There will be a longlist out of which 20 will make it to the shortlist. If your entry appears in the “top 20 shortlist”, you’ll be on a global platform and share your work with publishers, literary agents, translators and other industry experts in a one-on-one session and perhaps get a chance to even sign a book deal!
In 2017, as many as 250 entries were received from across India; 20 candidates were shortlisted and invited to present their work at Jaipur BookMark 2017 in front of international industry experts and mentors. The First Book Club New Writers’ Mentorship Programme 2017 saw many deals signed with literary agencies, which will translate into books published in the future.
In 2018, it could be you who gets into the selected shortlist! Don’t miss this opportunity!
- The programme is open to unpublished writers of Indian nationality writing in any Indian language. The synopsis, however, must be submitted in either English or Hindi.
- The synopsis can pertain to any of the following genres: Mystery, Romance, Thriller, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Fiction etc.
- Entries must be uploaded as a PDF (No word .doc please).
- Please use Times New Roman Font in size 12. Maximum word limit is 1200-1500 words per entry.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the participant and by submitting he/she certifies the work to be his/her own.
- Each person can submit only one entry.
- The title of your work should be in bold at the centre-top on the first page of your PDF. Please mention name, age, occupation, city of residence, contact number, email address and a short profile at the end of your document.
- Deadline to submit entries is 12 midnight (IST) on 20th December 2017.
- Announcing the shortlist for First Book Club 2018 on 15th January.
Please note: entries not pertaining to the guidelines will be disqualified.
- This is not a competition, but a programme to identify and select new and exciting book ideas and help writers hone these into great books. The programme does not guarantee that the selected work will be published.
- Shortlisted participants will receive a festival goodie bag and certificates from Jaipur BookMark at the end of JLF.
The programme is not limited to any age group.
- All the copyright for the material submitted will rest with the writer.
- The selection committee’s decision is final and binding on the shortlisted work.
- Shortlisted participants will grant license to Teamwork Arts Pvt. Ltd. to feature them in any of its websites or promotional material connected to this programme and to the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF).
- Teamwork Arts Pvt. Ltd bears no responsibility to arrange travel, accommodation and food for any shortlisted person/s under any circumstance.
- Shortlisted participants will get opportunities to interact with press, publishers, literary agents, industry experts and authors at JLF.
- Any misbehaviour or clash by the shortlisted participant with the organisers, literary agents, publishers, literary critics, authors and attendees and/or taking of any undue advantage of the festival or programme facilities by him/her will lead to his/her immediate expulsion from the programme and JLF. Teamwork Arts reserves the authority of judgement in cases of such misdemeanour.
- Teamwork Arts reserves the right to alter the guidelines, terms and conditions at any time.